It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: eap-tls through RADIUS fails with openl2tp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:43 pm 

I've configured ppp to do EAP-TLS authentication through RADIUS. This was done by adapting a patch based on ppp-heiart.tar.bz2 (which is based on ppp v2.4.3).

I've made a patch based on this version for the ppp as found in the Debian Squeeze repository, which can be found here.

Using this patch and xl2tpd, I can successfully authenticate against my freeradius server using EAP-TLS auth.

With openl2tp, authentication fails, and the following appears in my radius log:
Code:
Error: TLS Alert write:fatal:decrypt error
Error:     TLS_accept: failed in SSLv3 read certificate verify B
Error: rlm_eap: SSL error error:0407006A:rsa routines:RSA_padding_check_PKCS1_type_1:block type is not 01
Error: SSL: SSL_read failed inside of TLS (-1), TLS session fails.
Auth: Login incorrect (TLS Alert write:fatal:decrypt error): [testuser@testcert] (from client test-dev port 0)

Would this suggest that somehow openl2tp is interfering with the communication between pppd and the RADIUS server?

I'm setting all ppp options in /etc/ppp/options, which are the same for xl2tpd and openl2tp. Note that MS-CHAPv2 authentication against the RADIUS server works ok with openl2tp in my setup. Only EAP-TLS is affected.

Would it help if I do a packet capture of both the EAP-TLS auth from xl2tpd as well as openl2tp against the RADIUS server?

Post subject: Re: eap-tls through RADIUS fails with openl2tp
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:27 pm 

update:
Upgrading to the 2.6.39 kernel in the squeeze-backports repository fixes this.

I suppose there's an update to the kernel l2tp/ppp driver between 2.6.32 and 2.6.39 that fixes this issue.

If the commit could be identified, I'd propose it to be included to the squeeze kernel (2.6.32).